In a landmark move towards a more sustainable future, the state of Victoria is set to implement a comprehensive ban on gas usage in new builds. Starting from January 1st 2024, all new builds will be prohibited from being connected to gas, paving the way for a cleaner and more energy-efficient construction landscape. The ban is a significant step towards reducing carbon emissions and promoting a greener way of living.
This decision by the state government to enforce a 100% electric mandate for all future builds marks a pivotal moment in the transition to renewable energy sources. Below, our real estate agents in Melbourne explore the key points you need to know about Victoria’s gas ban for new builds.
The Key Points to Know
- Total Elimination of Gas – The ban applies to all gas usage in new residential and commercial buildings. This includes gas-powered appliances such as stoves, water heaters and ducted heating. Electric alternatives will be required.
- Push for Electric Infrastructure – The ban underscores the importance of electric infrastructure development. New buildings will need to be equipped with the necessary electrical capacity to accommodate all electric appliances.
- Renewable Energy Integration – The move aligns with the broader shift towards renewable energy sources. As gas usage decreases, there will be an increased emphasis on sourcing electricity from renewable sources such as solar and wind.
- Energy Efficiency – Electric appliances are becoming increasingly energy efficient. This ban encourages the adoption of modern technologies that can reduce energy bills for homeowners and businesses.
- Long-Term Environmental Benefits – While the transition might require an initial investment in terms of appliance upgrades and infrastructure changes, the long-term benefits include reduced air pollution and a healthier living environment.
- Starting Date – The ban will commence from January 1st 2024.
Victoria’s gas ban for new builds is an ambitious step in reshaping the construction industry to align with sustainability goals. As the deadline approaches, architects, builders and residents alike must prepare to embrace this transformative shift towards a gas-free building landscape.
Contact Ross-Hunt Real Estate’s real estate agents in Melbourne today for more information.